Being involved in a car accident that results in bodily injury can be a very scary experience. In this type of circumstance, it is important that the injured party (s) keep calm seek medical attention immediately. It is equally important that the injured party doesn’t do anything that can jeopardize his or her case.
Five steps you should take at all times if you are involved in a car accident:
- Do not admit fault for the accident to anyone – This includes passengers, family members, and the police. Your interpretation of the event can be skewed, so it is best not to say anything until your mind has been cleared. Let your insurance company handle the accident claim and the details of the claim. You should simply focus on getting the medical treatment you need.
- Seek medical attention – It is very common for party’s involved in a car accident not to feel any symptoms following the accident. However, it is even more common to experience symptoms such as, headaches, dizziness, numbness, and discomfort days and sometimes-even weeks after the car accident. It is best to seek medical treatment immediately and have a trained professional conduct an evaluation. It is imperative that you do this as soon as you can because the longer you wait, the harder it will be to prove that the injuries you sustained were caused by the car accident.
- Take pictures – Take pictures of the car accident and more importantly of the injuries you sustained. Bruises, cuts, and scrapes heal quickly, so it is vital that you take some pictures for evidence purposes. If you hired a New Port Richey auto accident lawyer, which we recommend that you do, having photos of your injuries will serve a very important purpose. Also, if the police were involved, it is recommended that you obtain a copy of the police report. You should ensure that all of the facts regarding the accident are correct. It is very well possible for the police report to contain erroneous information.
- Take notes regarding your medical treatment – Have the contact information of any chiropractors, physical therapist, or medical profession that you have been visiting for treatment readily available. This information will be necessary to receive reimbursement from your insurance company.
- Schedule a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney, especially if you are asked to sign any documents that you don’t understand fully. An experienced car accident attorney will make sure that you legal rights are protected. He or she will also work thoroughly to prepare the case and fight for your claim. Your attorney will know how to properly deal with all of the party’s involved: insurance companies, witness and experts, and he or she may negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit.
If you have been injured in an auto accident contact us today. Our New Port Richey auto accident lawyer will correctly identify the legal issues in your personal injury lawsuit. Many times our clients come in thinking one thing is a problem when really they deserve compensation for something else. To find out more about how to recover compensation for injuries suffered because of an accident, call (727) 842-9758 today.